When it comes to homes, electrical issues are a dime a dozen. You may be faced with voltage fluctuation, damaged appliances, flickering lights and ultimately high electricity bills, amongst many others. All of these problems could be a sign of electrical issues with the circuit in your house. Below you can find a list of commonly found electric problems in many households. Using these tips identify these issues as soon as you can and avoid having health hazards in your house.

Common Electrical surges

These usually occur due to the lack of proper wiring in the house, or damaged power lines, or faulty appliance, or lightning strikes. Surges usually last for microseconds but if you start experiencing them commonly, it could lead to appliance life degradation or in some cases permanent damage.

To troubleshoot, you can check the device connecting to your home grid or the electrical wiring. Try disconnecting or replacing the low-quality power boards in your circuit. Doing so usually solves the problems, if it doesn’t call a professional electrician ballarat to take a look.

Improperly working light switches

Dimmers and light switches that don’t work appropriately can be oft credited to sub-standard products or shoddy workmanship.

If you have moved into a new house, and the switches don’t seem to turn anything on, it could be a sign of the switches having been superseded or the fixtures might have been removed. It could also be pointing to a fault in the wiring, outlet or the circuit. Immediately consult with an electrician if you are facing issues with the switches in your house.

Frequently tripping circuit breakers

Appliances such as irons, microwaves and air conditioners can trip circuit breakers, specifically when other items are consuming power from the same source. A circuit breaker is designed as such to protect you and your household, so when it trips, that’s a sign that it’s working well and doing the job.

When the circuit breaker trips, identify what was consuming the most power. If it was an overloaded outlet, unplug the multiple extensions from it right away. Try to limit the usage on a single circuit when a high wattage device is in use.

Experiencing electrical shocks

Even though they are usually quite mild, experiencing an electrical shock can be a nasty experience. Typically, these shocks happen when you turn a device off or on. The issue could be lying within the appliance or the wiring. You can try replacing the appliance and trying again. If you reproduce the issue, consult with your electrician for guidance. In any case, use extreme caution when working with electricity as it is known to leave people injured and in extreme cases even causes permanent damage.